Freezing in Windows 8 [Resolved]

Think you found a bug or something comparable - report them here...

Freezing in Windows 8 [Resolved]

Postby Duke » 48 months ago

48 months ago
I bought SunAge from the Windows app store recently and am playing it on windows 8, but the game too often freezes for a few seconds at a time during play. Any ideas on why this might be and how to remedy this problem?
Duke

Re: Freezing in Windows 8

Postby v4corg » 48 months ago

48 months ago
Hi Duke,

Sorry to hear that. Hmm, actually this is a new behavior - i never heard of that one.
Sounds to me like a graphics card thingy. you could try to switch to other resolutions
in windows 8, then restart the game to see.
It would be interesting what configuration are you playing it on ?
Like graphics card, computer type (lenovo ?) or whatever.

Cheers
Roman
vertex4 CEO, coding overlord, game design hippie and Jack of all Trades
v4corg

Postby Duke » 48 months ago

48 months ago
Hi Roman,

I'm not a techie, to be honest, so haven't got much of a clue regarding settings or graphics cards, but the optimal resolution for my display is apparently 1366x768 (and that's the resolution I have been using when the game has been freezing up for a few seconds at a time) and I'm running Sunage on an Intel Core i3 processor, which (is this right?) incorporates its own graphics card, I think. My laptop is an ASUS, if that helps.

Cheers,
Duke
Duke

Postby TheRobWatling » 48 months ago

48 months ago
Hi Duke, If you could when on your PC use the search on Windows 8 for "DXDiag" open the application and at the bottom of the window click save all information. This will save a text file with all of your hardware information. If you can then attach that document here if possible or upload it else where with a link here I will try to find out what may be causing your troubles.

Thanks,
Rob.
TheRobWatling - AKA - Hogo
TheRobWatling

Postby carbon » 46 months ago

46 months ago
Hi, I experience this too. I am running Windows 8.1 on a Lenovo Xelix, i7 processor with 8gb of RAM. The campaigns run fine, but whenever I do a multiplayer skirmish using the AI, the game gets very choppy as soon as soldiers start moving around. The game will freeze up consistently every couple of seconds, making it virtually unplayable.

Also, I've noticed that there are two Sunage games in the Win8 App store. One is just called Sunage, the other is called Sunage: The battle for elysium. The app I have installed is Battle for Elysium, the other says it will cost me another $6.99. The version I have currently is v.1.13.0 x64. Do I need the other version? Why are there two of the same game in the app store?

So, how do I fix the freezing?

Thanks!
carbon

46 months ago
Here is my DXDiag info

http://pastebin.com/Y7ha4pkQ
carbon

Postby v4corg » 46 months ago

46 months ago
Hi carbon,

thanx for providing more info. Actually i think the issue is really code related - i will look into it soonish and release another update then.

Also: the two versions in the windows 8 lenovo store are exactly the same - sunage: battle for elysium is lenovo only while sunage is the
windows 8 store version available to everybody. Yeah, this is a bit confusing, but you have to name your products differently for the OEMs.

Will post here, when there's news about the skirmish bug (i have a certain clue already).

Cheers,
Roman
v4corg

46 months ago
Great game, by the way.

Also, on a side note, and I'm not sure if there is a key command for this function already, but I would love to be able to use units to patrol an area, or chase an attacker. Right now, if I click on the bad guys, my units will not attack unless baddies are in the strike zone, and I can't seem to get units to follow other friendly units, or bad guys.

Oh, and I noticed that if you select a new way point for an army that is currently moving, they come to a complete stop before changing course. It would be awesome if this was more fluid...

But again, don't let me tell you your business. Awesome game!! I hope you get millions of downloads in the Windows app store!
carbon

Postby v4corg » 46 months ago

46 months ago
Hey carbon, thanx man :)

Yeah, about that patrolling and aggro-settings - i found that this would add very little to the whole game and really felt like going into a completely different direction even if it looks like a cutting out of common features at a first glance. Nowadays i think a bit different - in terms of: yeah, well I think its not making sense at all and I would never use it, but yeah that doesnt mean its not making sense for other players, and if its not breaking the overall concepts, why not. Back in the days i was very wary of not giving ppl the wrong idea about the gameplay and clearly state what the game was about. So thats why these features didnt find their way into the game so far. (i think i'm considering it now)

And yes, the instant-pathfinding was something we really heard often in the early release days.I really think i should change that - i just always HATED the idea of this super-clunky movement visuals. (But thats really no argument i know). So maybe that will also find its way in there soon.

Cheers
Roman
v4corg

Postby v4corg » 41 months ago

41 months ago
Ok, so: from version 1.13.2 on the skirmish freezing-bug is fixed.
It was nothing gfx-card related - the problem was in the innerds of my very own code.
v4corg

Return to Bug reports