[Fixed:v1154] Won't Run in Windows 10

Think you found a bug or something comparable - report them here...

[Fixed:v1154] Won't Run in Windows 10

Postby decmade » 24 months ago

24 months ago
Hey,

I just took the bait on upgrading to Windows 10. Overall, a lot better OS, btw. But, for some reason, SunAge won't run anymore. Major fail. This game is the business. I've tried a clean install of Windows 10 after not being able to run any Metro Apps after the upgrade. Still no joy. I get cryptic errors in the event log:

##MESSAGE1##
Activation of app microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps_8wekyb3d8bbwe!ppleae38af2e007f4358a809ac99a64a67c1 failed with error: The app didn't start in the required time. See the Microsoft-Windows-TWinUI/Operational log for additional information.

##MESSAGE2##
The program HxTsr.exe version 16.0.6020.4201 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Security and Maintenance control panel.
Process ID: 12b8
Start Time: 01d0cd94042c2c9c
Termination Time: 4294967295
Application Path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps_17.6020.42011.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\HxTsr.exe
Report Id: 64b86c66-3987-11e5-9bc5-b8ee65bbd5b4
Faulting package full name: microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps_17.6020.42011.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
Faulting package-relative application ID: ppleae38af2e007f4358a809ac99a64a67c1

I was working fine on Windows 8.1 before. Hardware is Acer Aspire E5-511 model laptop.

This game is propping me up since AOE is malware now. Anxious for a fix.
decmade

Re: Won't Run in Windows 10

Postby v4corg » 24 months ago

24 months ago
Ohmy - thanx for reporting.

Damn, i dont want to upgrade to test that. But you say its happening to any other metro-app as well ?
vertex4 CEO, coding overlord, game design hippie and Jack of all Trades
v4corg

24 months ago
Seems to be a common problem with Windows 10 right now:

See here, maybe this helps:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insi ... 42e5bc0cb3

Cheers
v4corg

Postby milan.smiesko » 24 months ago

24 months ago
Hi,
I've got this issue just today, I think after some updates or what.
A day before yesterday I had upgraded from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10, then I was still able to play the game with no issue.
Today morning I have realized that the SunAge game is unable to start, a second after the SunAge picture/splash is shown the application closes with no further info.
I was looking at the Windows Event Logger and I found some similar messages than mentioned by @decmade above.

Does anybody have a fix for this please?
I do not see any SunAge update in the Store.
Or it may be some Windows issue coming with some autoupdate.

Note: the command "sfc/scannow" says: Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.
So seems no issue with windows files corrupt.

Thanks for reply.

--
Milan
milan.smiesko

24 months ago
Again - read that article:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insi ... 42e5bc0cb3

Oh - ok. You might want to follow that whats marked as answer (not the crap with sfc.exe - this is always the first thing they come up with to keep you busy - it never solved anything as long as i can remember) - follow that powershell approach mentioned in the answer (Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach ....) - this looks far more likely to solve the problem.

It should hopefully temporary fix the big mess microsoft has laid upon us.
v4corg

Postby decmade » 24 months ago

24 months ago
Sorry for going MIA like that. I have acquired a short history on this:

My screen brightness control went haywire to where turning the brightness up actually turned it down. So the controls where inverted. I found out by spending hours trying to figure out why my screen was black when my laptop woke up. Luckily I use a second monitor and it helped me pin it down to the brightness control. I trolled Google for answers to that and indirectly came up with reloading the video driver for my Intel HD Graphics card. Did that. The brightness was fixed. Yayy.. Also, SunAge magically worked ...

So I played the s*(% out of it for about a couple days..

Then. One day, I bring my laptop up and the screen is black again. Same problem as before. So, being the analytical person I am, I applied the same fix. Reloaded the graphics driver. The screen brightness control is fixed. But... now SunAge won't load again.

So I tried the command in powershell. It did something for a while. I rebooted to make certain I didn't waste anybody's time before I posted. Still nothing. I agree on the sfc.exe. Plus, since this is a fresh install of the OS and I am completely anal about what I will download and run on my machine, I don't see how it can even be the issue.

But, I'm not against trying it if it will bring SunAge back. I may try the sfc.exe approach later if m daughter lets me have a minute to myself. I promise to re-post if it fixes anything.

WARNING: the Powershell command uninstalled MineCraft and made me have to re-install Flipboard. Not sure how that works or if it's relevant. But, just in case those apps are important to someone else with this problem.
decmade

24 months ago
Oh my - sounds like quite an odyssey. Unfortunately i really cant help there. Keep us posted & good luck.
v4corg

Postby Legionbob » 23 months ago

23 months ago
Hi, ive just posted something similar under support before finding this post. I have tried all the suggestions, but I still cannot get the game to run.
Legionbob

Postby decmade » 23 months ago

23 months ago
Unfortunately I have to confirm that I can't get the game to run again. I got lucky that one time, but now, not even reloading drivers does anything.

Incidentally, I have isolated the inverted brightness control issue to the hybrid shutdown functionality that is being forced on you by default with Windows 8/10. If you disable that and let the computer shut all the way down, the brightness works as expected.
decmade

Postby milan.smiesko » 23 months ago

23 months ago
hi,
the game still doesn't work even with the latest core 10532 update.
Note: I have tried the powershell hint, but didn't work for me.

Regards,
Milan
milan.smiesko

Next

Return to Bug reports