Some Praise and a Question on Map Editing

Can't beat a level ? Need general help with the game ? Ask here...

Some Praise and a Question on Map Editing

Postby Cloudscape » 108 months ago

108 months ago
I found this game when I was looking for Isometric 2D games (it's my favorite graphic style) and I came across this beautiful game. The artistic skill you possess along with the intelligent and strategic gameplay design have manifested something truly stunning in the world of Real-Time Strategy. I've never had the pleasure of witnessing this level of dedication to the genre that I have chosen to make my home long ago when I grew up watching my dad play Age of Empires when I was a toddler.

What you have created for the gaming world is truly a masterpiece and unrivaled in comparison to both the legendary classics, the AAA games, and the innovative and creative indie games. It actually hurts to say it because I grew up playing Age of Empires from age 4 all the way til now, as I am 21, Age of Empires is a game I've been playing aggressively for 17 years but this game, is probably going to steal its place in my heart at some point soon as I have found myself addicted to it and I haven't even gotten to play it yet.

That being said, I'm so glad I get paid in a few days because I am going to play this game until the AI gets on its knees and begs for mercy, which from what I have seen, will be quite the challenge for me. The AI is the absolute most important part of every RTS game in my opinion as it is the manifestation of the game's will itself challenging the player, which in my eyes, is the most strategically beautiful thing to witness the game itself crush the player beneath its heel as if the player is the one being toyed with.

I'm going to stop myself now before it's too late because I actually came here to ask a question.

One of my favorite parts of RTS games is making my own maps and scenarios so I did some digging and found this,

http://steamcommunity.com/app/318650/di ... 820053496/?

in the discussion above, you stated that you had a working editor, that it would just be difficult to use; would it be possible for me to get a copy of the map editor and if not, do you have an ETA for the editor's release?

By the way, thank you in advance for a such an amazing game, I can't wait to play it in a few days on Steam :D
Cloudscape

Re: Some Praise and a Question on Map Editing

Postby v4corg » 108 months ago

108 months ago
Oh my oh my - this is probably the most moving post i've ever had concerning SunAge. Thank you sooo much for that :)

As for the editor: Well, in contrast to the game the editor hasn't been updated for the last 7-8 years. And since the sales of sunage are not as super awesome it deserved it, i really have to think twice before putting effort into the editor.

Not saying its not happening - its just not very high on my priority list right now.

Cheers,
Roman
vertex4 CEO, coding overlord, game design hippie and Jack of all Trades
v4corg

Postby Cloudscape » 108 months ago

108 months ago
Ah I see, well sales for RTS games are extremely rough as it is and regardless of the passion and dedication, money is a requirement to fund production.

I honestly haven't seen an RTS this good since Age of Empires 2, it's as if this should have taken StarCraft's place (no offense to SC fans, I just don't like how its become a game of who can build the largest army the fastest). I really like how the skirmish plays out, how when the resource nodes run out, the game isn't over as you can still pull out fumes endlessly and so the guerrilla wars begin after the initial clash of empires. The balance of the game seems to have been very well thought out as I don't ever find myself lacking in entertainment. I also really like the platoon system and how the units actually fire while moving if the enemy is in the direction they're heading.

Is it true that this is actually a remake? I heard this has actually been out for 17 years, feels like I really missed out I didn't get to play it this whole time. Been itching for a good RTS for a really long time now.
Cloudscape

Postby v4corg » 107 months ago

107 months ago
hey there,

Well, nope. Remake isn't the right word. It has been initially released in 2007/2008, and this first release was sort of a disaster due to lack of testing time. After that it got a bit silent for some years - the rights to sunage luckily reverting back to me since our publisher went bankrupt. Then with Windows 8 on the horizon i ported the game to windows 8 to put it in the store then. Sales weren't great at all, so i decided to port it also to Mac and put it in the Mac App Store. Sales weren't great at all. Then i decided to sell it directly via the sunage page powered by google ads or something. In the middle of that an old friend brought Steam Greenlight back to my mind. So i just thought - yeah, what the heck - i now got all the marketing resources at hand (videos, pics, texts) so its no big deal to put that on greenlight - not really hoping for it to get greenlit. But then BANG - we were greenlit in 6 weeks. After that i worked with some 15+ guys from the steam community as beta testers implementing / improving lots of stuff that these guys proposed. And well, thats how it came to the current version which i'm finally happy with. So it's not a remake, i just never stopped working on it. And i'm very happy i didn't since even if sales aren't great even on steam - at least i can live from it now.

Cheeeeeers,
Roman
vertex4 CEO, coding overlord, game design hippie and Jack of all Trades
v4corg

Return to Support